Sunday, May 9, 2010

First Stitches

I know, I've been somewhat remiss in my blogging duties again. But I assure you it's not going to be like last time, I'm determined to post atleast once a month. : >

Anyway, Oliver sustained his first real injury while playing in the dirt by the guardrail on our alley-way. There was lots of blood and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I hosed off his hands. He somehow managed to slice his left pointer finger all the way down the side. We took him to see our neighbor, who is a nurse, and she cleaned it up and put steri-strips and a bandaid on it. But no sooner had we left her house, but Oliver peeled off all the bandages. I tried another bandaid, but he peeled that one off too. By the third band-aid the cut was starting to look serious (you could see his finger's guts) so we decided to take Oliver to urgent care to get it looked at. Owen fell asleep in the car, so I stayed behind while Kevin took Oliver in to the Urgent Care. Sure enough, Oliver ended up with 3 stitches! The first thing he said to me when he came back to the car was, "Mommy they hurt me!" : < My poor baby!
Fortunately, by the next day all trauma was more or less forgotten though it was a challenge finding a bandage that would stay on and I ended up having to wrap his entire finger and hand.
2 weeks later, we were able to get the stitches out and you can't even tell he had a cut. Oliver was super excited to get to keep his stitches (they encased them in some clear tape, and I'm keeping them for his baby book!).
I'm glad we survived our first brush with stitches. :)

No comments: